The Science of Design
Navatek’s Design Science team specializes in delivering novel tools and methods for unique and innovative applications that enhance the customer’s overall design process. Our primary application is early-stage and concept design. Decisions made in early-stage design have the greatest potential for both positive and negative impact on the final product. For this reason, the motivating purpose for Navatek’s Design Science team is to push the boundaries of early-stage data and designer understanding forward, to ultimately improve the final product. The science of design is researching and implementing new, often custom, solutions to complex problems in design.
Some areas of current research are:
- Efficient methods for estimating lifetime structural loads on multihull vessels for use in early-stage ship design.
- Large-scale, automated arrangement of spaces and systems within a hull envelope.
- Multi-fidelity methods for uncertainty quantification (UQ) of hydromechanical simulations.
- Human-intuitive, Reduced-Order Visualization (ROV) of large-scale data.
- Complexity reduction of the Amphibious Combat Vehicle (ACV 2.0).
- Determination of optimal decision pathways for the selection of vessel systems in early-stage design.
To address challenges like those listed above, Navatek brings to the table a multi-discplinary array of tools and methods. A selection of our capabilities are:
- Set-based design
- Designer-Intent multidisciplinary optimization (MDO)
- Real options analysis
- Markov decision processes
- Network theory
- Prospect theoretic decision modeling
- Multi-fidelity Meta-, or surrogate modeling
- Polynomial chaos expansion for uncertainty quantification